Choi Seung-hyun (Hangul: 최승현; born November 4, 1987), better known by his stage name T.O.P (Hangul: 탑), is a South Korean singer, rapper, songwriter, record producer, actor, and the lead rapper of the boy group BIGBANG.
Life and career
T.O.P was born on November 4, 1987 in Seoul, South Korea.
Before joining YG Entertainment, he was an underground rapper, known as Tempo. He and G-Dragon were childhood friends, and often rapped together. Although G-Dragon later walked away and the two "distanced themselves", they got in touch again when Seung Hyun was among the candidates to create a boy band at YG Entertainment.
Both recorded several demos and sent them to Yang Hyun Suk, CEO of YG Entertainment, who later asked Seunghyun to audition. Seunghyun was initially rejected by the record label, because he was considered too "chubby" to adapt to the "idealistic" version of an idol. According to him, "he went home and exercised really hard because he wanted to join YG Entertainment." Six months later, he returned for another audition and signed with him. It is said that he lost 20 kg in 40 days.
Seunghyun was given the stage name T.O.P (탑) by his fellow labelmate SE7EN. He became one of the two rappers of BIGBANG along with G-Dragon. The two were paired with Taeyang, Daesung, Seungri and Hyunseung. The formation of the band was filmed through the documentary BIGBANG: The Beginning.
- Nineteen (2009) - as Junghoon
- 71: Into the Fire (2010) - as Oh Jang-beom
- Iris: The Movie (2010) - as Vick
- The Commitment (2013) - as Lee Myung-hoon/Kang Dae-ho
- Tazza: The High Rollers 2 (2014) - as Daegil
- I Am Sam (2007, KBS2) - as Chae Mu-sin
- Iris (2009, KBS2) - as Vick
- Doom Dada (2013)
As lead artist
- "Friend" (featuring Taeyang) (2009)
- "Hi Haruka" (2015)
- Main page: T.O.P/Gallery
- He is the oldest member of BIGBANG.
- He is a childhood friend of G-Dragon.